Coverage for sailing the southern seas
Canadians love to travel and boaters are especially adventurous. If you are thinking about sailing to the southern seas make sure your boat insurance will sail along with you.
Requirements for southern navigation coverage
Sailing south requires planning and experience. If you are planning to take or transport your boat to the four zones classified as the southern seas you must meet the following requirements:
- Must have over five years of boating experience
- Experience navigating southern waters previously (at least 3 years)
- Provide a southern navigation experience resume including the boat size operated
- Provide an itinerary of your southern navigation trip
- Have a hurricane plan in place during hurricane season
Coverage for the southern seas includes:
- Four zones stretching from the Atlantic Eastern Seaboard all the way to Southern Caribbean Sea
- $1MM in protection & indemnity liability
- Higher liability limits available
- Owner must me a Canadian resident
Southern navigation coverage
Most pleasure craft insurance policies will have an individual restriction on the use of the vessel clause or an extended navigation limit. These restrictions can be extended to cover one or more of the navigational limits.
During hurricane season which runs from June 1 to November 30 will also have some policy restrictions. It is important to note that any damages caused by or resulting from a named windstorm - which is named by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - may be excluded unless you have demonstrated the following:
- You have a hurricane plan showing a named yard where vessel kept
- Named yard has agreed to carry out your hurricane plan
- For in water lay-up, the plan should include re-enforcement of Mooring lines, Fenders and Anchorage.
- For on land lay-up, the plan should include securing to in-ground anchors or Concrete Blocks suitable for that purpose, or storage of insured vessel within a designated hurricane resistant storage building and removal of all sails & canvas if vessel stored outside .
A separate named windstorm deductible will apply to all claims associated with losses from named windstorms.
Out of country accident claim service
A yacht, sailboat or any other large boat is a significant investment we want to help you protect. Ensure you have a copy of your policy and if travelling in hurricane season, a copy of your hurricane plan. Your first point of contact is your broker. We have a dedicated team of marine claim specialists to advise you and help you with your claim. Different time zones are not an issue. Our business is to ensure you are covered. We have 24 hr claim reporting and our "claim" to fame is how we help you and your broker get through what can be a stressful time.